T-Cancer

I just want people to know about the things that are currently happening in my life. In January I went into the doctor's office thinking I had strep throat or something because I hadn't been able to recover from a cold. While I was visiting with the doctor she noticed my neck was swollen and so she felt it and realized that my thyroid was enlarged, she suggested that we do blood work to see what was going on.

The results on it came back as to be in the normal range, so we decided to press on to do an ultrasound of the thyroid because SOMETHING was going on. When we received those results there were two hard nodules and one cyst, all in different locations. According to statistics this should not be concerning. My doctor had talked with another doctor and they suggested we check back in on them in six months. As I got off the phone I just felt sick inside and knew I needed to see someone else for a second opinion. As I thought that my doctor had called me back and told me I should do that too. She told me that I should go to an ENT (Ears, Nose, Throat) Specialist.

I went to one and he decided I needed to get the two harder nodules biopsied. I got both hard nodules biopsied one located on the right lobe of the thyroid and the other on the left lobe of the thyroid. Both resulted in the news of being malignant (cancer). This is a rare find for my age and having multiple nodules on the thyroid. Now I have been diagnosed with Papillary Thyroid Cancer.

Friday, May 18, 2012

Radioactive Iodine 100 mCi - High Dose Radiation! Radioactive Tawnya! ;)

 There it is! Above is the container containing my 100 mCi's of radiation! :)
The lead container weighs approximately 15 lbs. That's a lot! What's inside must be highly dangerous... Oh well here we go let's just put it into my body! :) haha

This morning I went to get my Radioactive Iodine (RAI). They gave me 100 mCi's (millicurie: http://orise.orau.gov/reacts/guide/measure.htm if you understand this... more power to you!). I'm still learning what that really means. I don't know if that's REALLY high or if that's REALLY low when we talk about "high-dose radiation". However, I did find this interesting article about it... http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ENDO/14738. 

Here's too 10 day isolation! ;) well, sort of I still can talk to people and see people just at a 12-foot distance, when they drop off my food down the hall! :) However, they still tell me NO VISITORS under 18 and anyone who is pregnant. We just need to be very cautious for the next 10 days.

Love you all!

2 comments:

  1. Well this dose is 6.5 times higher that is from the PET scan (about 15 millicuries)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This could be the appropriate blog for everyone who hopes to discover this topic. You understand much its virtually difficult to argue together with you (not that When i would want…HaHa). You certainly put a different spin on the topic thats been discussing for several years. Excellent stuff, just fantastic! https://asbestoscancer.org/stage-four-mesothelioma/

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.