T-Cancer

I just want people to know about the things that are currently happening in my life. In January I went into the doctor's office thinking I had strep throat or something because I hadn't been able to recover from a cold. While I was visiting with the doctor she noticed my neck was swollen and so she felt it and realized that my thyroid was enlarged, she suggested that we do blood work to see what was going on.

The results on it came back as to be in the normal range, so we decided to press on to do an ultrasound of the thyroid because SOMETHING was going on. When we received those results there were two hard nodules and one cyst, all in different locations. According to statistics this should not be concerning. My doctor had talked with another doctor and they suggested we check back in on them in six months. As I got off the phone I just felt sick inside and knew I needed to see someone else for a second opinion. As I thought that my doctor had called me back and told me I should do that too. She told me that I should go to an ENT (Ears, Nose, Throat) Specialist.

I went to one and he decided I needed to get the two harder nodules biopsied. I got both hard nodules biopsied one located on the right lobe of the thyroid and the other on the left lobe of the thyroid. Both resulted in the news of being malignant (cancer). This is a rare find for my age and having multiple nodules on the thyroid. Now I have been diagnosed with Papillary Thyroid Cancer.

Thursday, July 2, 2015

8 week post-surgery check up - Time of Hope!


My scar looks so good! You can hardly see it. 

I went into the doctor today and he said that everything looks good. I'm feeling okay. I'm working on getting better. They did blood work and I'm waiting on my results. As my previous endocrinologist and I didn't see eye to eye about what we should do with the cancer returning I don't have a doctor to tell me what to do/expect next. It's uncertain what to do next as to follow up on the cancer but I'll figure it out. I'm out to find a new doctor. I have a handful of new doctors to try out. You wouldn't think it would be so hard to find a doctor to work with on your health. I have a great ENT who is willing to help out as much as possible but it's critical I find a doctor to let me know what to do next with the cancer. What an adventure lies ahead!

I want to share a little further into my thoughts, many times I reflect back on my original diagnosis and how this has changed my life. I do feel like this trial has been a blessing in my life. This second time through I've found myself wondering where do I want my life to end up at? What do I want to make of my time here on earth? I know I have lots to do here and I need to do my part to make it the best!

I don't think it was coincidence that back when I was originally diagnosed, 2012, the following General Conference Elder Henry B Eyring spoke about Mountains to Climb. This talk has become one of my favorites. First of all I LOVE Elder Eyring's talks but this one hit home especially where I had been thinking about my own trials. I would encourage you all to listen to/read this talk it's powerful: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2012/04/mountains-to-climb?lang=eng. There are two favorite quotes from this talk is, "If we have faith in Jesus Christ, the hardest as well as the easiest times in life can be a blessing." He also quoted Spencer W Kimball,“There are great challenges ahead of us, giant opportunities to be met. I welcome that exciting prospect and feel to say to the Lord, humbly, ‘Give me this mountain,’ give me these challenges.”

Elder Eyring further stated, "You and I have faith that the way to rise through and above trials is to believe that there is a “balm in Gilead” and that the Lord has promised, “I will not … forsake thee.” That is what President Thomas S. Monson has taught us to help us and those we serve in what seem lonely and overwhelming trials.

But President Monson has also wisely taught that a foundation of faith in the reality of those promises takes time to build. You may have seen the need for that foundation, as I have, at the bedside of someone ready to give up the fight to endure to the end. If the foundation of faith is not embedded in our hearts, the power to endure will crumble."

We must hold onto the particle of faith we may have among the most difficult times in our life. Faith can help us rise above and learn from the times of trial. I know this is the way I have made it this far through this difficult time. What an opportunity it has been for me to learn from. No matter what we face we must remember our Savior's love and desire for us all to be happy, for this is the Plan of Happiness that we are traveling. Let us find happiness in this life, this is what I am working on doing. May you all find faith and hope in whatever trial you are facing. Don't forget that happiness is in all trials. 

I appreciate all the love and support I feel from all who are around me and hope the best in your lives!


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your updates!
    Your blog means a lot to me!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of Course! I hope to get a couple more entries in this weekend. Since the couple months have been so busy I haven't had time to review and post a couple of my thoughts, but I'm shooting to get more up. Hugs!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your updates!
    Your blog means a lot to me!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.