February 28, 2012
I was diagnosed with Papillary Thyroid Cancer here's my story
January 28, 2015
Return of the cancer
October 12, 2017
Once again, Cancer
T-Cancer
I just want people to know about the things that are currently happening in my life. In January I went into the doctor's office thinking I had strep throat or something because I hadn't been able to recover from a cold. While I was visiting with the doctor she noticed my neck was swollen and so she felt it and realized that my thyroid was enlarged, she suggested that we do blood work to see what was going on.
The results on it came back as to be in the normal range, so we decided to press on to do an ultrasound of the thyroid because SOMETHING was going on. When we received those results there were two hard nodules and one cyst, all in different locations. According to statistics this should not be concerning. My doctor had talked with another doctor and they suggested we check back in on them in six months. As I got off the phone I just felt sick inside and knew I needed to see someone else for a second opinion. As I thought that my doctor had called me back and told me I should do that too. She told me that I should go to an ENT (Ears, Nose, Throat) Specialist.
I went to one and he decided I needed to get the two harder nodules biopsied. I got both hard nodules biopsied one located on the right lobe of the thyroid and the other on the left lobe of the thyroid. Both resulted in the news of being malignant (cancer). This is a rare find for my age and having multiple nodules on the thyroid. Now I have been diagnosed with Papillary Thyroid Cancer.
The results on it came back as to be in the normal range, so we decided to press on to do an ultrasound of the thyroid because SOMETHING was going on. When we received those results there were two hard nodules and one cyst, all in different locations. According to statistics this should not be concerning. My doctor had talked with another doctor and they suggested we check back in on them in six months. As I got off the phone I just felt sick inside and knew I needed to see someone else for a second opinion. As I thought that my doctor had called me back and told me I should do that too. She told me that I should go to an ENT (Ears, Nose, Throat) Specialist.
I went to one and he decided I needed to get the two harder nodules biopsied. I got both hard nodules biopsied one located on the right lobe of the thyroid and the other on the left lobe of the thyroid. Both resulted in the news of being malignant (cancer). This is a rare find for my age and having multiple nodules on the thyroid. Now I have been diagnosed with Papillary Thyroid Cancer.
Thursday, April 30, 2015
Who's up for round two?!
Well.... here goes nothin'. I was ready for surgery on Monday. I went into the hospital and did the ultrasound so they would know where to go in and what they needed to take out. Everything seemed to be going very strange throughout the morning. Let's back up a little bit... Last Friday I got calls from the hospital to do preregistration for the surgery; however, I didn't hear from the schedulers. I ended up calling the hospital at 8:00 pm and I got transferred around and finally reached the house supervisor who was able to give me my check-in time and time for surgery. So, when it came to Monday morning at 7:45 am we went in for the ultrasound and at 10:15 we checked in for surgery. We went through the entire morning and then I needed to use the restroom and they told me that they needed to do a urine sample for testing. I waited for them and got that taken care of after some time. This all just seemed to take forever. It was a rough morning. I knew I had a minor UTI since I've had chronic UTIs since I was in 5th/6th grade. I just thought they would need to know that I had a minor one in my mind. As I kept asking them if they did the urine test they said they would get that taken care of. The doctor came in and went over everything with my parents and I for the surgery. He left and the nurse finally got the IV situated in the most tender spot just below my left thumb. The Anesthesiologist came in and asked several questions and took care things. We were all set and ready to go. I was ready to be taken back for surgery after several hours of waiting the nurse came in and let me know that I have an UTI but that they would go forward with the surgery. After another long wait the doctor comes in and someone said they were ready to take me back. They opened the curtain and the whole team was standing there ready and waiting. The doctor then informed me that they were uncomfortable going forward with the surgery because I had a severe UTI and that could cause infection in the neck when they open me up. They were very uncomfortable but wanted to hear what I felt. My doctor is very patient and understanding he's just incredible, even when I'm absolutely upset. I didn't say much because I was too emotional and so my dad was able to speak with the doctors on my behalf and sort things out. They discussed multiple options for rescheduling, but felt that if I could get on some antibiotics for a couple days then we would be able to have the surgery. My doctors where incredibly great and planned on rescheduling for Friday. They don't normally have time on Friday's because they are doing clinic or something, but the were accommodating and made some calls and rescheduled. I was very upset and just couldn't understand why this happened. My parents actually felt a relief and felt like we needed to take care of a few things before doing the surgery. Well, here we are the night before the now second surgery. I've been really frustrated up until I got the call to schedule this second surgery. I am anxious and excited to get this over with.
As a status to the cancer during the ultrasound they found that the one nodule is near a cluster of lymph nodes and all four look suspicious so they are going to remove them. He believes this will be it for the cancer and we'll need to watch the blood work every six months from here.
So here goes nothing! Onward and upward and learn from all challenges, heartaches, and disappointments.
So long Cancer! You're not taking this woman down!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Huh, my last comment didn't show. Anyways this whole sichiation sounds like a blast! And you are definitely right!... Cancer doesn't stand a chance against shear awesomeness!, which by the way you have much more of than the cancer itself.
ReplyDeleteThanks Colby! I appreciate the comment! Sorry I hadn't responded to your post! I read it a while ago and didn't reply because it's been a little crazy, to say the least! :) It has been a blast! What an adventure. I sincerely appreciate the support!
Delete