T-Cancer

I just want people to know about the things that are currently happening in my life. In January I went into the doctor's office thinking I had strep throat or something because I hadn't been able to recover from a cold. While I was visiting with the doctor she noticed my neck was swollen and so she felt it and realized that my thyroid was enlarged, she suggested that we do blood work to see what was going on.

The results on it came back as to be in the normal range, so we decided to press on to do an ultrasound of the thyroid because SOMETHING was going on. When we received those results there were two hard nodules and one cyst, all in different locations. According to statistics this should not be concerning. My doctor had talked with another doctor and they suggested we check back in on them in six months. As I got off the phone I just felt sick inside and knew I needed to see someone else for a second opinion. As I thought that my doctor had called me back and told me I should do that too. She told me that I should go to an ENT (Ears, Nose, Throat) Specialist.

I went to one and he decided I needed to get the two harder nodules biopsied. I got both hard nodules biopsied one located on the right lobe of the thyroid and the other on the left lobe of the thyroid. Both resulted in the news of being malignant (cancer). This is a rare find for my age and having multiple nodules on the thyroid. Now I have been diagnosed with Papillary Thyroid Cancer.

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Blessings Along The Journey

Yesterday I went to the radiologist and had the most wonderful experience at a doctor office. There are doctors out there that do care. What a miracle! When I arrived at the doctor to check in the receptionist there was so welcoming and helpful. As I waited for my appointment, I watched as a woman who was coming in for some treatment came in and they were so wonderful and caring to her and it made me feel so good to see the attitude of the office. I got called back for my appointment and the nurse did her normal and took my blood pressure and then she did something unusual, she sat down and just visited with. I thought is this really happening. She discussed with me my fears and frustrations through the years and she validated everything I was going through, something I hadn't felt in a REALLY long time. She was so surprised what I had gone through this on my own as a 28 year old. She visited with me for a good 15 minutes as we were waiting for the doctor. If felt great to have someone to talk to about every thing. She left the room and a little bit later the doctor came in. The first thing the doctor said to me is that he could not help me as he works with patients who need external radiation and that something they don't do with Thyroid cancer unless it's later in life and surgery is not an option. At that moment I thought well this is just another doctor telling me there's nothing I could do. He then proceeded to tell me a few options. He also agreed that I shouldn't have had to do this on my own. He said that doctors should have been more informative and helpful through this process. He couldn't believe that I had been making decisions on my own. My options are: he could make some calls to my old cancer doctors and discuss my care and let them know where I'm at and what he feels should be done, he felt like maybe going back to the doctor in Salt Lake could be an option, or he could make a call to some radiologist friends at the Huntsman center and find out who they would refer. I had been feeling like I should get into Huntsman at some point so I felt like that's what I would like to do. He said "Okay, let me go make some calls." He left the room and made some calls and came back in and said that he had made a call to the Huntsman institute and they will be calling me to make an appointment and if I hadn't heard from them by next week then to call him back and he would make some calls again. He then proceeded to tell me that anyone dealing with any type of cancer should have a team working with them to help them make the process easier and he'd be happy to be apart of that if needed. I then asked him why he was doing this, since he's visiting with me, taking time out of his day, and making calls for me and not getting any money out of this. He turned to me and said sometimes you just got to do things that are just right. He said that he felt like this was just the right thing to do. I began to tear up and cry as that was the first time in a really long time that I had someone care about my health. What a miracle!!! Sometimes we don't expect things to work out and then when you are in your darkest hour but still have faith in the Lord the light will shine, it ALWAYS does. The Lord has always proven to me that he's there for me and here's to another day of the Lord's light in my life!

John recorded: “Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.” John 8:12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.