On January 28, 2015 I went in for the results of the biopsies. Seriously the wait killed me. I need to be candid and let you know that those 14 days between the FNA and results seemed like an eternity. I had several anxiety attacks and the stressed just about killed me. In my head I seriously couldn't believe that my body was so stressed. I wanted to be ok in waiting and I wanted to just live normally but waiting for results was so nerve wrecking. There were a couple times my hope faltered. I did continue to remember the love of my Savior and my Heavenly Father during this time but it was very hard. This is probably one of my most trialing times up to this point. So strange to say that, but it's true. I had hope in the initial treatment that I would never be in the position where another doctor would tell me that the cancer has returned. I had so many people tell me that it's not likely that it would come back because it never did for them. I felt like I was broken and torn because it was most likely that the cancer had returned. I felt alone in my world because my friends and other people I spoke to said that their cancer never returned that they are 5-20 years from their initial treatment. So I began to wonder what was wrong with me and why am I so different from them. Why am I having this trouble with my health? I was reminded that the Lord will not give us more then we can handle and I truly believe that. Throughout my life I've been given tough things to bear and I know the Lord has given me strength to carry those. I know that I'm well taken care of no matter the struggles I face.
Well, I went to my appointment and the doctor came into the room and handed me the result paper and asked me if I understood what it said. I began to read and there was that scary word, malignant. I honestly didn't know what to think at that time. All my fears came over me but I was still calm... I was able to take in all that the doctor was telling me. There was no doubt with the biopsy that the cancer had returned...
The doctor began to explain to me that it's a slow growing cancer and that there were three options. Option 1: Surgery, Option 2: Monitor it, Option 3: Ethanol Injection. He told me that surgery would be extensive and put my voice box at risk and at this time he would not suggest this option; however, it is up to me. With the ethanol injection, he explained that it would only address the one specific lymph node and there's no guarantee that it will solve the other cancer cells that might be in that area. He didn't seem to think that would solve the issue of the cancer. He suggested that we monitor it and if it grows and if the thryroglobulin increases we'll do the surgery at that time. He said that when they get into the area they would be able to tell if there is more and it would give him a better understanding to what the next step should be. He doesn't suggest the radiation anymore since we've already done that in the past and it still returned. So we decided together that we would watch it and we'll decide what to do every 5 months. I will return to see the doctor in 5 months for an ultrasound and blood work. I will have blood work done at the beginning of June and then my ultrasound June 24.
I know that I'm blessed and the Lord is very aware of me I want to point out that my favorite kind of day is a cloudy/rainy days. I was blessed to start this crazy day with a light rain and clouds in the sky! Such a reminder the Lord is aware of me. Secondly, I'm in LOVE with sunsets and those that are orange and red and on my drive home from the appointment I had one of the most incredible sunsets I had ever seen. I love the Lord and his small mercy he shows me among trialing times.
Here's to another adventure! Bring it on Cancer! You're going down!
February 28, 2012
I was diagnosed with Papillary Thyroid Cancer here's my story
January 28, 2015
Return of the cancer
October 12, 2017
Once again, Cancer
T-Cancer
I just want people to know about the things that are currently happening in my life. In January I went into the doctor's office thinking I had strep throat or something because I hadn't been able to recover from a cold. While I was visiting with the doctor she noticed my neck was swollen and so she felt it and realized that my thyroid was enlarged, she suggested that we do blood work to see what was going on.
The results on it came back as to be in the normal range, so we decided to press on to do an ultrasound of the thyroid because SOMETHING was going on. When we received those results there were two hard nodules and one cyst, all in different locations. According to statistics this should not be concerning. My doctor had talked with another doctor and they suggested we check back in on them in six months. As I got off the phone I just felt sick inside and knew I needed to see someone else for a second opinion. As I thought that my doctor had called me back and told me I should do that too. She told me that I should go to an ENT (Ears, Nose, Throat) Specialist.
I went to one and he decided I needed to get the two harder nodules biopsied. I got both hard nodules biopsied one located on the right lobe of the thyroid and the other on the left lobe of the thyroid. Both resulted in the news of being malignant (cancer). This is a rare find for my age and having multiple nodules on the thyroid. Now I have been diagnosed with Papillary Thyroid Cancer.
The results on it came back as to be in the normal range, so we decided to press on to do an ultrasound of the thyroid because SOMETHING was going on. When we received those results there were two hard nodules and one cyst, all in different locations. According to statistics this should not be concerning. My doctor had talked with another doctor and they suggested we check back in on them in six months. As I got off the phone I just felt sick inside and knew I needed to see someone else for a second opinion. As I thought that my doctor had called me back and told me I should do that too. She told me that I should go to an ENT (Ears, Nose, Throat) Specialist.
I went to one and he decided I needed to get the two harder nodules biopsied. I got both hard nodules biopsied one located on the right lobe of the thyroid and the other on the left lobe of the thyroid. Both resulted in the news of being malignant (cancer). This is a rare find for my age and having multiple nodules on the thyroid. Now I have been diagnosed with Papillary Thyroid Cancer.
You are so amazing, Tawyna. You seem so optimistic and strong. I really look up to you, and I hope everything turns out okay. ; ) This cancer is going down!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
Delete